Thursday, December 9, 2010

Third Shell Drawing (Life Drawing)

This is my third shell drawing in which we needed to use India ink in order to create the black cross contour lines of the shell, and use a wash on the background and incorporate that into the shell. I did not incorporate the color into the shell, but during the critique my classmates said that they liked the style of that. For my next shell drawing, though, I think I will attempt to incorporate the color into the shell. They also said that the way the shell was drawn was very well done and that I had a good use of diagonal lines. They liked the color of blue that I used, and I do as well, but I might want to make it more vibrant for my next drawing. This was a very fun project for me. I am not used to working with ink so it was new for me, but I liked it a lot. It gave me an opportunity to draw the shell more realistically than in the last ones because you could use shading in order to create depth, as opposed to creating depth strictly using contour lines like we did in the last drawings. For the next shell drawing I will use what I learned from this one and apply that to it.

This week, we also learned how to draw hands using contour lines. I have always liked drawing hands because they are so beautiful, but doing this using contour lines was very difficult. I think the most difficult thing with the hands was getting the proportions right because I am used to only having to draw the outline of the hands and not all of the lines on the inside that make up the hands. I enjoyed it a lot, though.

7 comments:

  1. On your shell drawing you have nice plane changes. The back contour lines look a bit flat and could be done with more of an s-shaped contour lines. Also another thing I like about your shell drawing was that you decided to do it in a different kind of style then everyone else. But I wish you would of used more different shades of gray in the shell to help create depth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the color choice. The blue in the background makes it seem like it is in the water. The use of shadow really makes it look nice. Some places of the shell look flatten out with the use of line.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am enjoying the blue in the background of your shell drawing but it seems a bit flat. I am wondering what it would be like if you added some shadow or highlight to make the shell seem as though it is sitting in the water or splashing up on the side of the shell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i like the way you back washed the paper with blue, i agree though, i think a shadow would do you well to give the shell a little more grounding and 3dimentionalitly

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how it feels as if the shell is shooting out of the blue background!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow your shell is really dynamic and sweet! I love the shading with the ink and the unique blue background

    ReplyDelete
  7. the color contrast between the blue and pink is working very well, also your contours and hatch marks, especially on the inside of the shell are magnificent.

    ReplyDelete