Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Final! (Life Drawing)

Looking back on this semester I can really see how much I have improved because of this class. Specifically when I see the gesture drawings that I did at the beginning of the semester and compare them to the more recent ones that I have done I can see a drastic improvement in many different things. The variation of line is much better, and I am not so caught up in drawing the outline of the shapes or only drawing what I see as opposed to how the object is actually formed. I think a lot of this has to do with the fact that over the semester I have learned to look at the object that I am drawing instead of looking at only my drawing. When you focus so much on trying to create a good drawing, you forget about the actual process that you are doing and it hinders your work, but if you only focus on doing what you are able to do, you will have much better results because you aren't so worried about doing a good job. I think that is the biggest thing that I have learned this semester. But I have also learned many other things. Another thing that I have learned is that there is more to an object than what is on it's exterior, and when you learn the interior of the object you are drawing, you will be much more successful. I have also learned about controlling the tool that you are using to draw by the position in which you hold it. As well many many other drawing techniques. Finally, one thing that I will take away from this class is the knowledge that from the moment your tool touches the paper, there will always be something that you can fix about the drawing, so it is not helpful to get so caught up in perfection. Instead you need to do the best that you can to create the art in the way that you want to create it. This was a very good semester and while I was very skeptical to take this class, I am glad that I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment