Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Second Project (Drawing III 2)



For this project, we were instructed to create a drawing that includes the theme of protesting specifically relating to the protests that are currently happening in Madison on the bill that governor Walker is attempting to pass. Originally, I wanted this drawing to reflect my views on this issue and have the drawing be able to clearly convey them, but after starting the drawing, I quickly realized that I did not really know exactly what my views on this issue were. I didn’t really know enough about what all was included in the bill and what it was actually about to form an educated opinion on it and to decide if I supported it or not. So I tried to come up with a drawing that would be fairly neutral in order to remain unbiased about the bill since I didn’t really understand it and instead convey exactly what it is that is happening in this situation as a result of the bill and depict a protest in an impartial way.

In class, we learned about Sam Durant’s work. In his work, he takes photographs from protests and recreates them by drawing them photo realistically. When I heard about him I immediately knew that this was what I wanted to do as well. The reason that I wanted to do this is because I have always loved using photographs and drawing them realistically. I like it so much because of the fact that I find that it is a really good challenge for me. I also thought that this would be a good way to remain neutral and to just convey the situation that is occurring instead of picking a side on the issue. It was hard to find a picture that I wanted to use to do this because I wanted to try and find a close up picture of a face of a protestor at a rally and recreate that, but I did not find any pictures that were close up. I found a couple of options that I thought would work and picked the best.

The reason why I picked this picture was because I saw the look on the faces of the children in the picture and they looked so sad. It really captured my attention to see this because the emotion that the kids gave really explained exactly how people who were protesting were really feeling about this bill, so I thought that that would be a good way to depict exactly what is happening in this situation. Also, the fact that there are kids protesting about this bill in general means that it really does affect everyone so that really stuck me as surprising to see that.

Although I had a lot of fun and really enjoyed doing it, it was a very long and hard process to draw this image. It was a bigger scale than I had ever done before so it took a long time in order to get everything rendered and I ran out of time to finish it, but I think it works to not have everything be completely rendered. It was not what I was going for necessarily, but gives it more of a feel of bring a mural, and I really like the idea of having it represent a mural that actually has a strong meaning behind it. I am going to try and go back and make it all uniform though by either undoing some of the rendering that I did already or by finishing the rendering of the things that I haven’t rendered yet. I am leaning more towards finishing the rendering because I really enjoy doing that and that was my original plan.

Overall, though, I am very happy about how this drawing turned out. I worked very hard on it and spent a lot of time on it, and I think it paid off. I really enjoy the size of it and I enjoy how it was drawn and the fact that there is such a great meaning behind it. It is a good memory of what happened at this point in my life because this situation could potentially impact me for the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment