Sunday, November 28, 2010

Seventh Week (Life Drawing)


This week in Life Drawing we went on a field trip to the Walker Art Center and the Bell Museum of Natural History. It was a lot of fun to go on a field trip!

At the Walker, we were able to look around at what we wanted. The first piece that I saw that really interested me was Andromeda by Alfons Schilling, which is in the exhibition Event Horizon. The reason this interested me was the movement that it created by spinning and how that changed the positive and negative space of the piece.

The piece that struck me the most was Naked by Eiko and Koma which is also in the Event Horizon exhibition. My first impression of this piece was that it was going to be a large amount of feathers on the feathers and walls, but then I realized that you enter into a room. Then I saw a sign that said that the piece contained nudity, so I figured it would be a picture of nude people, but then when you enter the room you see two naked people, a male and female, laying in the feathers. At first, I thought they were fake, but then they moved, and that really surprised me. I am wondering if they are the artists or not.

Finally, the Yves Kline exhibition was quite impressive as well. The use of that royal blue color was overwhelming. And I was reading the words to an audio recording that was played and the quote, "In the end, responsibility is what commands the awareness that there's always something better; perfectionism. In the end I am a perfectionist, but that is bad because you're never happy. You always know there is better and that you can do better. There exists better, and there exists further. Never satisfied. And then, on the other hand being satisfied is mediocre. You're there. You're satisfied and you don't know what else to do and you do nothing because otherwise you are longer satisfied." really stuck out to me because being a perfectionist myself, I know exactly how it feels to never be satisfied, and thinking about the downside of the opposite was a really interesting way to think about it.

At the Bell Museum, we drew whatever we wanted. I chose to draw a moose because the antlers were so powerful looking, but it turns out that they were incredibly hard to draw a contour of.

2 comments:

  1. i really enjoy the volume that you brought to your drawing through the contour lines. the antlers look like they were a little hard to pet in perspective, but they still look good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also thought the two people laying in the middle of the Event Horizon exhibition were fake. Then I saw them moving a little bit and thought they were robotic. After I walked over and touched the guy, I realized he was real, got talking to him and turns out he is a nice guy. And yes, those two were the artist.

    ReplyDelete